Sunday, August 1, 2010

An American In Paris

While I was one of a few people in the class who had been to Paris before (in my case, six years ago), I had a much better opportunity to explore some of the city in depth, and with a greater degree of freedom than the first time around. I was able to get a better read on the city itself, and hear it speak to me.

So what does the voice of Paris sound like? Well, with its immediate first impression, the city definitely speaks with an attitude--perhaps echoed through some of the Parisians themselves. It's certainly a beautiful city, without a doubt, but it's a little rougher around the edges when compared to London. The city definitely challenges you, not just with the language difference, but with its obvious cultural differences as well. I found that to experience Paris, and to enjoy what it has to offer, you have to rise to the challenges it poses and embrace those differences that make it such a unique city.

There was definitely no better way to experience these differences up close than exploring the city on foot. Seeing first-hand the graffiti on the walls, the constant presence of panhandlers, gypsies, street musicians, the swarms of tourists, and yes, the stereotypical Parisians with attitudes as well, all made me both wary and aware as I explored the city. But after just a day's exploring, I found myself growing more accustomed to the city's grittier vibe, and was able to start enjoying the amazing sights and sounds of the city itself.

Obviously a weekend is definitely not enough time to see everything in
Paris, but I was able to fill in a few of the gaps that were left from my last visit. It's certainly good to be back "home" in London, but I would not hesitate to visit Paris again in the future.

1 comment: