Friday, July 23, 2010

The simpler things...

The excursion to Regents Park and Primrose Hill was literally a return to the "simpler things" in life: getting away from the hustle and bustle of the city, the crowded museums and tourist attractions, and admiring the beauty of nature, open spaces, and enjoying the peace offered by the wonderful parks in London.

I was impressed with how expansive Regents Park was, and how beautifully kept all of the grounds were. Our class will eventually be visiting Hyde Park as well, it will be interesting to compare the two parks. I realized that after photographing
buildings, museum pieces, and other interesting but obviously inanimate objects for most of our excursions thus far, it was a refreshing change to be able to take photographs of nature, and as up-close-and-personal as the park dwelling animals would allow. We spent a considerable amount of time in Regents Park and I think many people in the class took advantage of the photographic opportunities.

Primrose Hill certainly embodied the enjoyment of simpler things: a tremendous view of the
city, bag lunches, and flying kites, which is something I hadn't done since I was a child. Thankfully, the old skills came back enough so that I was able to fly my "dollar store special" a few times atop Primrose Hill, despite the challenging wind conditions. It sounds like the class may have a chance to fly their kites again at Hyde Park, and I was surprised to discover the inner child in me is actually looking forward to that opportunity...

No comments:

Post a Comment